Mirror, mirror on the wall, who are the data after all?
Invitation to an art + tech installation:
This Friday, 13th May, FabCity: The Mirror Room
People expose information about themselves every day. They are very well aware of some information they reveal while completely unaware of other. Providing personal data effects our privacy, social interaction, health and security. This concern has brought 3 creative people, Thomas Blom, Tijl Akkermans and Hester Swaving, into founding the WE ARE DATA project. The project houses an installation where art + technology blend into each other, the Mirror Room. Besides bringing more awareness, this installation allows getting a better grip on abstract data that surrounds us and only few can understand… And how much do YOU know about data? Let me provide you with 3 interesting facts:
- Every 2 days we create as much information as we did from the beginning of time until 2003.
- According to the industry experts, the amount of digital information that exists in the present time will grow from 3.2 zettabytes to 40 zettabytes by 2020.
- At the moment less than 0.5% of all data is analyzed and used, imagine the potential here!
Where, when and why The Mirror Room in its mobile container has been set up in the FabCity Campus in Amsterdam since April the 21st for testing. Now everyone is eagerly awaiting its official opening full of festivities and glory on the 13th May! The Mirror Room will stay in the FabCity Campus until the 26th June. Afterwards it will be travelling around the Netherlands and neighboring countries, visiting festivals, conferences etc. Whether you are data fanatic, a computer geek or just want to stay up to date the Mirror Room is something for you! The creators are encouraging anyone and everyone to join and discover:
- How it feels to be confronted with oneself.
- How it feels to let your personal data be exposed.
- How to become more aware of the type and the amount of data that can be generated daily.
- And learn about all of the above in a playful way with an artistic twist.
Special Thanks The whole endeavor was feasible thanks to a unique cooperation of several professionals in the art or technology fields (or both). It is an honor for VicarVision to be part the Mirror Room. Time to see how the magic mirrors work!
Missed the opening?? check it here